Right click and “save target/link as” to download the clip to your computer.
This weekend, Harry Potter 4, “The Goblet of Fire,” comes out in theaters. Today’s movie clip is the first teaser that was released for this movie. At the very end of the trailer is the phrase, “Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.” This is the phrase that we are using in today’s “video study.”.
Show the trailer. Here are some discussion questions that the students could answer in groups to get them talking and thinking about the subject of choices:
- When has someone you know had to make a difficult choice in their life?
- What choice did they make?
- Was it easy for them to make that decision?
- Do you know someone who has made a bad choice because it was easy?
- Have you ever made a bad choice because it was easy?
- Have you ever made a good choice even though it was difficult?
- How did that situation work out?
- What are some difficult choices that you are making in your life right now?
- Usually, are correct decisions easy? Why or why not?
There are many examples in the Bible who made the right decision even though it was difficult. You could extract some principles from their lives. Some people who made the right decision even though it was difficult were: Noah, Joseph, Abraham with Isaac, Joshua and Caleb, Esther, etc. There are also a few people who took the easy way out: Achan, Judas, The rich young ruler, Pilate, etc.
Some observation questions you could ask are:
- What was the decision that needed to be made?
- How did (person) make the decision?
- Was the decision they made easy or difficult?
- Did they make the right decision?
- Was the right decision easy or difficult?
- How did the circumstances change because of their decision?
- What would have happened if they would have made a different decision?
- How did God respond to their decision?
If you use this resource/idea in your ministry, please let me know. I’d also love for you to send me an outline of your talk.